The only thing I am not happy about is that i havent had the time to finish my animation for my second 30second piece. The fortunate piece is that it was an extra piece of work that straight from the start I did not think I was going to be able to finish. Anyhow i am happy to have achieved this much.

Advertisements

Rendering out the final piece.

It took a while to render out the final piece, unfortunately I did not have enough time to finish the animation but i have an animatic version of what the end result is going to be like. These are some images of what the render looked like.

Screen shot 2013-05-26 at 9.16.39 PM

Screen shot 2013-05-26 at 9.30.11 PM

Screen shot 2013-05-26 at 10.11.51 PM

The rendered out version was too big of a file to post on vimeo, but fortunately tried it on youtube and it worked.

Standard

Change of plans…

I am concerned whether to use the last update of the butterfly due to it not meshing too well with the background and wizard. I need to re-think my choices in colours and patterns since there is too much going on and not enough harmony between them. Therefore changes need to happen to the butterfly for me to feel satisfied of the work i accomplished, especially the art/concept work behind it since its what i am trying to show through this piece.

Standard

Looking a little bit like this..

After having imported all the finished background, butterfly and wizard characters, i spent time on aftereffects and testing the different camera angles and how the most successful way of panning the camera to show the best quality of the backgrounds would be. These are some screen grabs of what it looked like.

Image

Image

Image

I am very pleased for how its looking, if i get enough time I would be happier if I could just change the butterfly a little bit to match the background more so that it can merge together as whole piece and not have it stick out so much from the rest of the shot.

Standard

The Magical Wizard

After having a rough idea of what the wizard’s colours were and the kind of effect i wanted him to have on the audience, my only thing i had to worry about was to import into photoshop this is my process of the wizard.

Image

Taken straight from a camera after having drawn it out by hand.

Image

Creating a mystery effect on the character, with the colours i chose. Also did some heavy shading around the cloak and sharp features such as the nose, very boney angled hands and a v shaped beard. In photoshop i decided to give him a little tweak and experiment with the filters to make him look more connected with the environment around him, since it is where he lives. And i found the perfect filter after an hour of trying different ones. This is the outcome.

Image

This effect of outlining the shadow parts on the wizards cloak and face, has a very similar style to the bark on the trees and bringing it in after effects it seemed to match a lot better than i actually imagined. So, all in all i was very pleased with the overall result of the wizard and background.

Standard

Creating the butterfly…

Pre-production, experimenting with colours, filters and patterns with layers on photoshop to find the mix that not only can bring the butterfly to life but also catch the audiences’ attention.

This is the outline created by hand for the butterfly to have a conceptual look.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Standard

Illustrator and Photoshop time…

So, after having drawn the long shot of the forest i imported it into illustrator and decided to live trace it, so that the black lines would show as i wanted it to be seen in the final project for it being a lot easier to manipulate the drawing if needed. When having traced it, the drawing did not need any kind of manipulation because of having adjusted the contrast, definition, exposure and sharpness of the image.

Image

After having traced it in illustrator I passed it on to photoshop to start playing with the opacity of the rest of the drawing, I wanted to try taking out the white spaces that would then be coloured in with other shades of grey.

Image

By putting a layer of colour behind it i could see what bits of the picture were missing white or in which the white had to be erased.

Image

Then i added some colours in the black to white scale without shading just to see if it would be better without colour because it would bring the attention away from the flying butterfly that i wanted to have in the panning scene.

Image

 

I thought it worked really well, it also surprised me that it brought out the detail of the bark from the trees a lot more than I thought it would. So after having tested a few times the different grey’s, i was happy with the tests and decided to move on. Next step, add shading and shadows!

Standard